Trade Taste Event
This event is only for those employed in
the Food and Beverage Industry.
Valid identification will be requested at the door.
Taste Wine List Awards 2013
Sadly, the awards for 2013 have been cancelled due to an insufficient number of applicants.
Taste will happily resurrect the awards for 2014 with significant commitment from industry. If you would like to see the awards continue, or if you wish to participate, please contact Kathy McAree directly.
A very big thank you to those who contribute their time and expertise to the awards; Sharon McLean, Tim Pawsey, Treve Ring, John Schreiner.
Taste strives to support the food and beverage industry in our area and the wine list awards are one way to not only award those doing a great job, but also to raise the bar for commitment to wine programs. We’d like to make a difference and will continue to do so with your support and participation.
Taste is proud to recognize establishments on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands who cultivate a successful wine program that reflects their menu, restaurant, size and clientele in three categories:
Best Overall Wine Program
Best Showcase of Island Wines
Most Diner Friendly Wine Menu
The judging process will be moderated by Sharon McLean, a certified sommelier (International Sommelier Guild), libations writer for Boulevard magazine and instructor of Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) courses on Vancouver Island for the International Culinary School at the Art Institute. Sharon is a second year Masters of Wine candidate and has earned French Wine Scholar credential.
The judging panel:
- Tim Pawsey, writer www.hiredbelly.com
- Treve Ring, writer and sommelier www.treve.ca
- John Schreiner, author www.johnschreiner.blogspot.com
All award winners will be announced at the July 25th Trade Tasting and will be posted on the Taste website.
For queries, please email Kathy McAree directly.
Participating restaurants must be located on Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands and be open to the public as of the program’s deadline on May 31, 2013. The following materials are required for entry into the program:
- Your current wine list. (The submitted wine list must be an exact copy of what is currently available in your restaurant.)
- Your current dinner menu.
- A one-page cover letter on your restaurant letterhead describing the size of the restaurant, your target clientele, your staff training program, storage conditions, inventory, pricing, features, flights, wine dinners and any other information you feel is relevant to your wine program. Please include the name of your accredited sommelier(s) and their school of accreditation. This cover letter must include a phone, fax number and e-mail.
- Please submit in no more than 2 pdf documents. Other formats will not be accepted (often they cannot be printed and shared accurately).
- Email your pdf submission in its entirety (one email message) to Kathy McAree info@VictoriaTaste.com
Receipt of your submission will be confirmed by email. There is currently no fee to enter.
Mark your calendar!! 2013 Taste Trade Tasting
Thursday July 25th, 1:00-3:30pm
Vancouver Ballroom, Hotel Grand Pacific, Victoria, BC
The Trade Tasting is available for members of the food and beverage industry who serve or sell wine or are students. Business card or valid employment identification is necessary to gain entry. No need to preregister.
Taste 2013 Attending Wineries
3 Cru Wines
Averill Creek Vineyard
Bartier Bros. Winery
Blasted Church Vineyards
Blue Moon Estate Winery
Blue Mountain Vineyard
Chaberton Estate Winery
Coastal Black Winery
Covert Farms Family Estate
Damali Lavender & Winery
de Vine Vineyards
Eau Vivre Winery & Vineyards
Forbidden Fruit Winery
Gehringer Brother’s Estate Winery
Kalala Organic Estates
Mistaken Identity Vineyards
Road 13 Vineyards
See Ya Later Ranch
Starling Lane Winery
Sumac Ridge Estate Winery
Vista D’oro Winery